Leask

A Foot In Coldwater - The Toronto Star - Jan 4, 2012

Postby Leask » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:22 pm

The Toronto Star

http://www.toronto.com/blog/post/708929 ... -coldwater

Our Pop Past: A Foot In Coldwater
January 04, 2012

Who were they?
Formed from the lineup of Toronto bands Nucleus, Lords of London and Island, A Foot In Coldwater were Alex Machin (vocals), Bob Horne (keyboards), Paul Naumann (guitars), Danny Taylor (drums) and Hughie Leggat (bass and backing vocals). When the band signed to Daffodil Records, their label named the band A Foot In Coldwater, an old English term meaning "bad luck." The band released their self-titled debut in 1972, which launched their biggest hit "(Make Me Do) Anything You Want," reaching 25 on the Canadian charts. Their 1973 follow-up, A Second Foot In Coldwater failed to do the same, with only two so-so singles. The band repeated their formula with their third and final album All Around Us in 1974, which gained traction because of a revised version of their greatest hit. When their label went bankrupt in 1975, keyboardist Horne left the group. The band attempted another single (1977's "Breaking Through"), but the lack of interest ended their music for good. A few side projects between bassist Hughie Leggat and his brother Gordon resulted in the moderately successful bands Private Eye and later, Leggat, whose song "White Flags" was covered by Blue Oyster Cult. (Take that!) Machin became a jingle writer in Los Angeles and appeared in a performance on Capital Hill celebrating Canada Day in 2000, singing his signature tune with other former Can-con luminaries. The rest of the band split into side gigs and solo projects.

What did they sound like?
A little April Wine, a lot Steppenwolf, A Foot In Coldwater used their seasoned guitar solos and prog-influenced keyboard work to create hard rock. On their formidable hit, the band wrote a sweeping ode to domesticity ("work hard in the daytime, for our dinner at night," sings Machin) with a violin-tinged chorus that melted even the hardest hearts. Their other material runs the gamut between glam rock posturing (the KISS-influenced "Who Can Stop Us Now") and straight ahead blues, heavy on the cowbell ("Drift Away"). Formed from the dregs of several prog and rock n' roll bands, A Foot In Coldwater might've boasted a sexy frontman but never revelled in the dirty side of rock n' roll. It was the soft and sweet tracks that made them known, like the lost Zeppelin cut "Fallen Man" whose pretty acoustic guitar strumming seems reminiscent of another era altogether.

Any chance of a reunion?
But of course. A Foot In Coldwater broke the ice in 1988 when the band reunited for a short stint of shows. In 1998, record label Unidisc reissued the band's entire catalogue, including a two-disc "best of" compilation. Unfortunately, any future reunions were cut short when guitar player Paul Naumann died of liver failure in 2009 in Taos, New Mexico.
sushmithasen

atozupdate

Postby sushmithasen » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:24 am

https://atozupdate.net
Very interesting blog. Alot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that I'm interested in, but I'm most definately interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know
Debraexill

A Foot In Coldwater The Toronto Star Jan 4 2012

Postby Debraexill » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:36 am

No and thats a pity because he took a lot of pleasure beeing on stage during the previous tour
Well you know he has his own carreer too.

Return to “Band Media”